Netherlands’ Character and Headcanons
Nation name: Kingdom of the Netherlands / Koninkrijk der Nederlanden
Human name: Abel Vermeer
Physical age: Around 26-27
Birthday: July 26
Family: Germanic. Has two siblings, Belgium and Luxembourg.
Current occupation: Business man (Trading)
Lives in: Amsterdam
Sexual orientation: He is bisexual, but he often refuses to admit that he has interest for men.
We can say “cold” for Abel most of the time, because it’s in his nature. He is often blunt, and he thinks being honest is better than feigning a smile and saying lies. Because of that, he wants everyone to be honest with him (even though truth hurts him). His sense of “rudeness” is slightly different than others. However, he knows his limits, and he’s careful to keep distance with people he is not close enough. He is often serious, but you can see him more relieved and happier when he’s with his friends. He likes to drink with them, talk about politics, sports and other events, celebrate special days; but no matter how he tries to be good with everyone, he fails at having new friends most of the time.
- Even though he usually follows the rules, he does not feel pressured by them, because his government has legalised lots of things that it can’t restrain. If you ask “Why?” about something, his answer will be most likely “Because I can.”.
- Netherlands is a TAURUS. (based on his personality)
- He can speak English, German, Spanish and French fluently as foreign languages. He had to learn French during his Golden Age, mostly because of official correspondences and France’s political importance in history. Also, while he and his family were under Spanish rule, he was forced to learn Spanish, since Spain didn’t know Dutch and miscommunication became a great problem between them (Abel still hates Spain, but he loves swearing at the Spaniard in his language). He tried to learn Russian (Cyrillic alphabet), but he failed miserably.
- He is an excellent chef, and he has a deep passion for food.
- He has OCD (but not extreme). He wants everything to be in order, he is careful about hygiene. Abel is not a symmetry freak, but you can’t see his house untidy. He carries a little bit perfectionism.
- He secretly knits sometimes (scarves, mostly) because he thinks it improves his concentration and handcraft skills.
- He is usually busy with gardening; he grows tulips of course, and he likes to grow vegetables in his little garden.
- He has a deep, soft spot for bunnies and he never denies that fact. He also tries to make other people adopt bunnies.
- He has also a stuffed animal (bunny). When he has nightmares about his bloody past, sicne he doesn’t like sharing his problems with anyone, he just hugs his bunny and sometimes even talks to her. He prefers to keep this as a secret, it’s his guilty pleasure.
- He is bisexual, but he mostly prefers women. If you call him “gay” in an offensive way, he might deny. But he has nothing against homosexuality.
- “The perfect woman” is one of his dreams. Netherlands has created a perfect woman in his mind; strong, independent, charming, witty, loyal… He has been searching for a woman like this for centuries, even though he knows he’ll never be able to find.
- Sports? Of course. He is into football for years, and he is very successful in field hockey. When he doesn’t feel good, he does cycling just to relax himself, or he simply prefers riding a bicycle instead of using public transportation.
(more headcanons will be added soon)